Konohagakure (木ノ葉隠れの里, Konohagakure no Sato, English TV: Village Hidden in the Leaves” or “Hidden Leaf Village, Literally meaning: Village Hidden by Tree Leaves) is the hidden village of the Land of Fire. As the village of one of the Five Great Shinobi Countries, Konohagakure has a Kage as its leader known as the Hokage, of which there have been seven in its history. Konoha resides deep within a forest at the base of a mountain known as the Hokage Rock, which has the faces of all those who have taken the office of Hokage engraved on it. While generally seen as the most powerful of the ninja villages, Konoha has enjoyed many years of relative peace and stability.
The standard attire for Konoha shinobi consists of blue or black shirts which may or may not have swirl patterns on the shoulders, along with matching coloured pants over a green flak jacket which also has a red swirl on the back, and pockets on the chest area. They also tend to wrap bandages around their legs. Many Konohagakure ninja use Fire Release techniques.
Konoha has a protocol in case the village is ever under attack.
- Eliminate the enemy units.
- If phase 1 is not viable, evacuate every civilian to the nearest shelter hidden throughout the village.
- Use all of the forces in the village to eliminate the enemy with full force using home field advantage.
- The hiragana あん (an) is painted on the four entrance gates of the village (one hiragana on each door). This means “hermitage” or “retreat”. In kanji, the character is “庵”. There are also torii built all around the perimeter wall of the village.
- Masashi Kishimoto stated that Konohagakure was modelled after his own hometown.
- In the first Naruto volume, page 87, there’s a sketch of downtown Konoha. In a close-up is a billboard with a cartoon version of Masashi Kishimoto with a paintbrush.
- After Konoha’s destruction, there were very few glimpses of the village during its reconstruction in the manga until chapter 616, showing the village looking as it did before the invasion. In the anime (as well as Ultimate Ninja Storm 3), most of the village was built within the crater caused by Pain.